BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 15, 2009

2 week post op visit w/Dr.

I just got back from my 2 week post op visit with the Dr. I have lost 9 lbs so far - according to his scale. Which I guess is not too bad. He told me I really shouldn't be concerned with weight loss for the next 4 weeks, and that I shouldn't even get on the scale. Yeah, right! Doesn't he know I currently get on the scale at least 3 times a day - every day?! Ok, so that is not a great thing to do and I am really going to try to stay off them - only weighing once a week. I think that is a good compromise. He said that I shouldn't even be concerned if a I gain slightly over the next 4 weeks. Yikes, I really don't want to do that! That seems so counter productive. I know I may not be able to help it, but man I sure hope that doesn't happen. Dr also told me I had progressed too much with my food choices. My hubby was there and kinda outed me on a couple things!! I know he is just looking out for me, so I am not going to harass him to badly. The Dr. said I need to go back to NO meat - no matter how small the pieces - except for baked fish. Everything should be soft mushy consistency - fruits and vegetables, eggs and soft, well moistened cereals, baked fish, scrambled eggs... (anything that will squish through a fork) for 4 more weeks. He showed me a clump of chicken that he actually had to remove from a patient who had taken 2 really small bites and chewed it really well - and it got stuck. Ok, ok that was pretty convincing. Also, I didn't realize that I was supposed to be walking for 30 minutes every day. He really got on to me about that! He said that if I have a treadmill that I need to be walking at 3-4mph for 30 minutes EVERY day. Ok, my bad! I will get right on that. I really want to be successful and a good patient! I have to do a measured meal test before my first fill. He said if I didn't do it he would not do a fill. He really uses that to gage where you are at with your eating and how much fill you can handle. I will be glad when I get to that stage. I think it will feel more like a regular meal and maybe easier to control. On this soft liquid phase I feel like I am eating all the time and eating way too much. Overall, a good visit with the doctor and I definitely have some things to work on.

3 comments:

  1. Hiya :)

    What is the 'measured meal test'? I haven't heard of that.. but you also made me realise I was also a little ahead of myself. I defrosted a light chicken and rice curry last night and blended the bejeezes out of it, but didn't know I wasn't supposed to have chicken (or rice.. eek) just yet. I went back and looked at my sheets and there it was.. not till week 5.. poop.. what a bugger.. lol
    We just have to keep struggling through this phase.. its not easy.. but it will be worth it. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cara,
    A measured meal test is taking 8 ounces cooked chicken or pork (weigh after cooking)- eat this meat only and nothing else at this meal, and see how much of it you can eat in 30 minutes. Of course you take very small bites (he says they should be the size of your pinky nail bed), put your fork down between bites, chew completely and stop when you get full or when the 30 minutes is up - whichever comes first. If there is meat left over, weigh it again to see how much you ate. My doctor uses this to determine how much of a fill you need. Hey says that if you can eat 4 ounces or less and be full you dont need a fill. If you can eat more than that then you need some fluid in your band to help with restriction. I am not sure if all doctors use this as a guide, but is seems pretty logical to me...but still cant have the meat until 2 days before my first fill. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Girl, It sounds like your doctors visit was encouraging. I'm SOOOOO proud of you for the 9 pounds lost. That is amazing. You are doing great. I hope you're enjoying the process and are not to uncomfortable. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete